Wood never goes out of fashion and when it comes to that rustic wooden legacy that adorns your floor, there is no better gift you can give to your house. Hardwood floors are one of the best things that happened to home décor but of course, every good thing requires maintenance and a lot of looks after.
Gone are the days when you had to hide that beauty beneath carpets. So if you too have been thinking to get that beauty out again then you’re absolutely at the right place. Refinishing hardwood floors is no rocket science but does need a lot of patience.
So the first thing to do before you start you refinishing the floor is to find out what type of wood is on your floor. Of course, you can always hire a professional like Nexus flooring who is one of the genuine solid Oak Flooring supplier in London, which is also the best and safest way to bring the beauty out without much effort but again what’s the fun if you don’t do it yourself.
· Remove the shoe molding first to keep your sanders banging against it or take care while using a sander and not damage the molding.
· Check squeaks and fix them. Best way to do it is to nail into the floor and set the nails. Do fill the holes with wood putty.
· Use a large walk sander to grind the floor. Make sure that you understand the machine thoroughly. Since these are heavy and are difficult to handle at first, you need to have a steady hand for this. Cautiously, with even pace grind the floor gently. Begin with a course of 30 grits and gradually raise it to fine 90-100 grits.
· Use medium grade sandpaper to finish the sanding and smoothen any patches left.
· Keep sweeping and vacuuming in between sanding.
· Use edge sander for corners to finish the sanding at the rough edges too.
· Vacuum all the dust and apply stain after cleaning the floor nicely. Always remember to apply stain in the direction of the wood grain using foam applicator. Remove the excess stain with a clean cotton cloth.
· Let the stain dry before apply varnish. There are a number of stains available ranging from dark browns, golden and reds. Apply it with Lamb’s wool applicator.
· Sand the floor lightly with 220 grits paper to give it the finishing touch. Apply two-three coats of varnish and keep sanding in between.
Follow these steps and you’re good to go. There’s always a better way than this is to hire professionals like Nexus Floorings, one of the most durable engineered oak flooring store in London to help you with taking all the load of reviving your hardwood floor back to life again.