Old homes have their own charm, but giving an old home a new feel is the biggest challenge people face at times. When you are on a budget, and there is a lot to achieve, it’s time to work your own magic to make an old house look new.
Here are some tips which can help you make an old home look new.
- Replace the flooring with a flooring option of your choice: Changing your floors can be one of the biggest feel-good factors for an old home. There are a lot of flooring options to choose from. You can choose from solid oak flooring, engineered oak flooring, stone flooring, tiles, etc. When you have a series of budget-friendly options, there is always something to look forward to.
- Give it a coat of fresh paint: Paint can make your house walls look neater and add a fresh wave of design to your old home. Use colors which suit your color palette and observe as it enhances your interiors. Get rid of old smelly wallpaper and redo your walls with a fresh coat of paint, to add a subtle freshness.
- Salvage all the old material and mix it with modern designs: Old homes offer a variety of material, which should be mixed with modern designs. This way, there will be an excellent fusion of traditional and modern, which will give your old home a new lease on life.
- Use a fresh design of lighting: Lighting is the trick to add a good range of light inside your home’s interiors. Choose your lighting carefully, as it can make or break your interiors. Invest in some trendy lighting options, so that there is a new and enhanced lighting option in your house.
- Change door handles: Old homes often carry the essence of their previous owners/residents. This can often reflect in the styles of the door handles, which add an extra layer of old, rustiness to the house. However, if you want to make changes, you can try to add a touch of glamor by changing the doorknobs and incorporate something new and modern, to mix and match the old with the new.
- Conceal awkward, old windows with drapery: Curtains play an important role in changing the interiors of your house. Old houses might have traditional window designs, which would mean that the layout will not match with the modern designs. However, in order to make everything merge, you can put drapery of your choice, which would not only hide awkward, old windows, but also spruce up your interiors wonderfully.
These tips are not only pocket-friendly, but they will go a long way in helping you refurbish an old house and convert into a modern age home.